Urban Bright

Yesterday, Coco and I visited the Getty Museum (thanks Grace for the recommendation)! The Getty Center is a cluster of galleries and gardens that sits on top of a hill with an amazing view. Unfortunately, on the day of our visit, there were scattered showers so the entire place was wet and some areas were closed off because of slippery slopes and muddiness. The architecture of the Getty is serene and gorgeous. And guess what? There is no entrance fee! You guys definitely have to visit this place if you're interested in art.

Entrance to the south building of the Getty museum.

The name of the artist slipped my mind but I can't get over the loveliness of this painting! The details are so dainty and pretty <3

This painting depicts Cupid as a chubby boy but his Greek counterpart, Eros was actually a slender young male. I've been pretty fascinated by Greek myths after taking a course on the subject last summer and the story of Cupid (Eros) and Psyche is one of my fav:

"The story tells of the struggle for love and trust between Eros and Psyche. Aphrodite was jealous of the beauty of mortal princess Psyche, as men were leaving her altars barren to worship a mere human woman instead, and so she commanded her son Eros, the god of love, to cause Psyche to fall in love with the ugliest creature on earth. But instead, Eros falls in love with Psyche himself and spirits her away to his home. Their fragile peace is ruined by a visit from Psyche's jealous sisters, who cause Psyche to betray the trust of her husband. Wounded, Eros leaves his wife, and Psyche wanders the Earth, looking for her lost love. Eventually she approaches Aphrodite and asks for her help. Aphrodite imposes a series of difficult tasks on Psyche, which she is able to achieve by means of supernatural assistance.
After successfully completing these tasks, Aphrodite relents and Psyche becomes immortal to live alongside her husband Eros. Together they had a daughter, Voluptas or Hedone (meaning physical pleasure, bliss)." - Wikipedia

Now wouldn't that make a total Korean drama?

I mentioned in my previous post that I really wanted to see the Urban Lights in front of LA County Museum of Art illuminated so Coco and I made a trip to the museum after the sun set. 

Isn't it much more beautiful when it is illuminated? : - ) 

Hope you enjoy my travel updates, Coco and I aren't exactly party animals so we often get back to our apartment by 10pm which is the time I start crunching on my blog posts. I'm so excited to be able to deliver them as I go because that means everything is still fresh in my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment