Guanajuato: A Dream Come True!


A few years ago, I googled "colorful Mexican houses" and stumbled upon Guanajuato. I was instantly smitten by its charms and swore I would visit this place in the future. Six years have passed since that initial Google search and we finally made it to Guanajuato! It exceeded my expectations by far and we stayed at an Airbnb with premium rooftop views. So pretty that my eyes almost jumped out of its sockets! Adri and I hiked up and down the hillside alleys: our favourite way to explore a town. During this trip, Adri and I spent a lot of time reflecting on gratitude and privilege. Many times in our daily lives, we compare ourselves to our peers who are further ahead or more accomplished and feel lacking. I know I suffer from it whenever I'm having a tough day and I scroll through Facebook. In those moments, I have to intentionally remind myself of all the good that's already present in my life. 

Here are some places that you should visit while in Guanajuato:
  • Jardin de la Union - Best plaza in town to get some shade and watch the people go about their day. Guanajuato is a University town so not only are the buildings lively, the town has its own pulse. 
  • Monumento al Pipila - The funicular is shut down for maintenance until further notice so Adri and I zigzagged our way up to the hill top where we had a splendid view of the pastel-colored town. Totally worth it!
  • Mummy Museum - If you are interested in a shockingly morbid experience, this museum is not to be missed! There is nothing like witnessing death to make you ponder about life.
  • Mercado Hidalgo - If you haven't lost your appetite at the mummy museum, head over to Mercado Hidalgo for some delicious meat tostas. We always recommend looking for the stall with the most locals.
  • Aguamiel Cafe - Hands down my favourite meal in Guanajuato. Aguamiel serves up healthy options for a steal. Adri and I had their breakfast omellette with salad and french toast drizzled in yogurt, pears, cranberries and oats for 95 pesos! That's less than $7 CAD for both dishes combined!
  • Cafe Tal - Craving coffee? Stop by Cafe Tal for a delicious frappucino that will jolt you back to life. 


















*WARNING* Pictures below are not for the faint-hearted! I suggest you to scroll down really quickly if you don't wish to see mummy pictures. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment